Friday, August 10, 2007

Conclusions of a 2-week Observation

Librarians on probation knew that the meeting was extremely important and could not afford to be missed. At 1.30pm sharp, all of them gathered in the school library, not forgetting to mention, punctual. Committee members of session 2006/2007 were in front. The secreatry, Kim Cheong was writing a list of posts on the whiteboard. Pn.Liza was wearing a serious expression on her face, talking in low voices to Eng Yap, the president. Quickly everyone took their seats, and fell silent when Eng Yap rose to his feet. The moment of truth was revealed.
I was paralysed with anxiety. Every librarian knew that I targeted for the post as the president. I knew that my chances were quite high, but still I believed that I had my competitors. Azman and See Bee were nominated as president as well, and they were quite qualified for the post that I had ambited. Eng Yap was casually reading each name for each post in front. I glanced the whiteboard in front. The post for president was still blank. The lower part of the board was already filled with names. Another minute from that moment.......My palms sweated as Suat Teng gave me an encouraging pat on my hand.
Climax. Kim Cheong was writing Suat Teng's name on the board for vice treasurer. I heard her name being called as she stood up in recognition. Then it was Yoong Ling for treasurer. See Bee's name was called for vice secretary, followed by Yoong Sin's as secretary. I was praying hard, knuckles white. Kim Cheong's marker pen was gliding on the board, forming an alphabeht on the whiteboard, next to the semicolon after the post vice president. The blue ink bore an 'A'. There was no 'A' in my name. I was paralysed with relief when I heard Azman's name called, as the vice president. When my name was announced, I stood up and looked around the library. My fellow librarians were clapping. Suresh, Aik Cheong and the others extended their hands towards my direction, and I took them one by one, thanking them as I listened to their words of congratulations. As I was requested to make a speech in front, I could not stop smiling.
Even the sky seems perfect that day. I am elected president of Library Board SMK Maxwell, and I am happy and proud. I know that in future I have a lot to cope with, but I am glad that I top everybody else to br given this oppurtunity to experience the responsibility.

Stuff I found out since I became President
1. Most of the librarians hated duty
They question the committee members why top-6 committees were allowed to be excluded
from duties. Yoong Sin pissed off and barked that the committee members were FAR more bussier than librarians, due to the fact we need to do a lot of management and directing work.

2. Most of the librarians liked wearing the vest but hated wearing long sleeve shirts
They will dutifully wear the vest every assembly, but a lot complained that long sleeve shirts were not appropraite due to the weather. Malaysia huh. My class resembled a sauna approximately 11am onwards everyday.

3. Most of the Head of Departments have no idea what are they supposed to do
Such as Ketua Kerja Luar. Aik Cheong had no idea what he was suposed to be in charged of before I enlightened him on some aspects of his work. Actually I did not know that much at first. As well as Discpline. Mahendran tends to go overboard, to Michelle's annoyance. He controled discpline ranging from handphones to morality. Wow...Today I settled his limitations. Mahendran seems troubled. But he was one capable guy.

4. Committee Members are effective and efficient people
They do their job great. Yoong Sin proved to me that she was one great secretary. Her minutes are flawless when I checked everytime. All name lists and duty charts can be done in less than 24 hours. See Bee was not bad either. Also with Yoong Ling and Suat Teng, the Library Board will never run out of money. Azman is very supportive and he did great help to me. Overall, big thanks to them and I really appreciated their enthusiasm.

5. When my fellow schoolmates see me, they see the Library Board
I have no idea this is bad or not. When I went to other classes to find my friends, librarians will stand up first, expecting me to find them as to pass some responsibilities to them. It startled me at first. Then when I thought about it, I found that everytime I went to talk to my classmates, it was usually about Library Board's stuff. Never casual talk. It horrified me.

6. According to seniors, I am way too serious
They said that I can take control of the whole situation, but in an unfriendly manner. They said I rarely smiled. When I do something, I take it seriously. According to them, I should treat everything in a moderate manner.

7. Seniors trust me
According to the twins, Eng Yap knew that I am capable. I just wished that I do not fail their trust. And I believe that I would not.

8. Some of my classmates have the impression that I am very matured in thoughts
They said I knew how to handle something before I did it. They said that I can judge something objectively and critically and make wise decisions. My decisions are always wise, with detailed reasons. According to them. Not to boast, indeed I am elevating my thinking skills. I am already a young adult now. It is my responsibility to have matured thinking skills. Furthermore I am leading a team. I have to improve and outstand the rest, to lead my team to achieve excellency.

9. Being unpopular is common
I have the impression that I was not widely liked. Some of the librarians think that I am arrogant and too strict. In class, I found out that I cannot fit in to most casual conversations.

10. I liked being busy
I enjoyed every moment I am burdened with different tasks. Conducting meetings, checking duties, establishing new systems, keeping records up to date, solving conflicts, discussing about events....... I liked the feeling being in authority. It keeps me motivated.

Being the president is no easy task. I am not born a leader, but I am learning to be a great one. I recieve criticisms like I breath in oxygen. Open mindedness is my personality. Above all, I would like to thank all seniors who gave me the chance of a lifetime. And I appreciated all librarians in giving me such co-operation and support. Without you, I am nothing.