Friday, August 27, 2010

United We Stand

In celebrating our nation's 53rd Independence Day, I'm writing this in dedication of love and peace. A series of unhappy events had taken place, alerting media attention and of course, fellow Malaysians who began to ponder on issues of racism and the meaning of unity. I have been following much of what people opine on Facebook, and thus, here I draw mine.

I grew up having close friends who consists of different races, being given the oppurtunity of studying in government high schools; a melting pot of a variety of cultures; the basic starting point. I am comfortable and happy with the way things work. We were innocent, and politics does not really seem much a bother. Race-blind was a term so easy to say and so strong a promise to be kept. When I started reading law, I started to be more concerned about socio-political events, and began to shoulder what obliged Malaysians do, to know and to comment on the nation's affairs. As I read and get to know, I began to understand why some people often get upset. Why issues on race is so sensitive. Why categorising Malaysians into races is practised.

At home, often than not, I listen to how my family grumbled about the country, and essentially, racist comments were not spared. My siblings, both schooled in independent high schools, have only friends and circle of acquaintances limited to one race. My mother and other relatives, being very traditional and down to earth Chinese, take stronghold of principles and philosophy. Not to say anything, but I believe it is the lack of exposure that makes them delude in their one typography mindset. When slight unfairness strikes, they would regard the other entire race as having that problem altogether. Or, they would boast boldly about what Chinese can do and achieve, and what the nation would be if not for us, Chinese. Often I kept quiet and let them blabber in self gratification, as once, I had voiced out my opposing views and got condemned harshly being a disgrace and traitor of my own people.

One fair example was when my sister failed to obtain JPA luar negeri, being she merely received the offer for JPA locally. My mother went on lengths in saying how unfair this was, and how my sister would do if she had equal results but of a different race. This, I still regard as fine, but when they went on saying other non-Chinese being not doing well as Chinese do, my opinion, I strongly beg to differ. Like how they say Chinese are generally excellent in Maths, I dare to say I am not any close to average in Maths. Not all bumiputeras are thoroughly lousy and require the Government's help all the time. There are equally competent non-Chinese out there, equally excellent people who can utilise taxpayers money and return to develop the country as well. My question, why generalise? Is it something we were trained to do? It is definitely not born within our genes. Why not excersie some understanding and get the point from a larger picture? Why not take the more difficult and courageous point of view, which is to acknowledge that it is not limited for one race to do one thing, but it is the person who makes the difference. The point is, experience may lead us in believing that generalisation of one race due to an individual is normal. It is not, and it corrupts. When an individual does good or bad, is the person with the attitude, not the race with the infection.

Since we are living altogether there should be no point asking anyone of us to leave. Together we develop the country, anyone less would make today impossible. Malaysia is our home, and each of us that loves the country, deserves to stay here and continue to prosper from it. Respecting each other and exercising tolerance is the lubricant that keeps the engine of peace and unity running. I am a Malysian who was born in this land, living in this land, and will die in this land, and enough said, I love Malaysia. Happy Merderka.


PS: Was super hefty not to cross the line being sensitive. Racism, a topic that invites ISA. Shhhh....