Monday, March 23, 2009

A Letter to Si Jia

Dear Jia,

Maybe you don;t know this, but I just want you to know, because I really really wished you could understand this. I cannot explain this more than just words, but this is the best I can tell. I am mustering my whole effort on pen and paper to tell you this.

I am truly truly grateful for you as a friend. I am, and I am serious.

Maybe you wonder why I am suddenly saying this. Okay, here is it.

Remember I told you that I am considering Languages in future? Yeah, I did. And I told everyone else. The response they gave me was of several types.

Common type 1: AH? You serious? Eh, wasted your years in science stream la then?

Common type 2: Eh, study language? You want to be a teacher ah?

Well, you bet. I hated these comments. It's like they are judging your future without stepping foot on it, and without considering that you are still thinking about it and you're facing this major dilemma. And it's already been a blow after the results came out, which sucked. If given, who doesn't want to get a flat 4, but just, it wasn't. Instead of As, I just got some sticky mess on a piece of sheet, which confirms one thing: CONSIDER PROPERLY. DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE YOU MADE IN FORM 4.

So, the better comments you get will be, so I know you'll be excellent in this field. You'll succeed. You'll this you'll that. Plain words-that-makes-you-feel-better. Consolation prize. Pat on the back with a weak smile. Yes girl, you're gonna make it.....a teacher, ah, isn't it sad? Yeah, you're good in languages (but sadly nothing else). That's the message I get from the so-called supporters. So called encouragements. Make you feel that everything is possible. But hey, hit back on earth. Seriously, do you need all the pitiful stares and the caring talks? All the false assumptions and fake hopes? It's not the concealed sympathy, but the kind of understanding I needed.

One word.

UNDERSTANDING.

And hey dear this is for you, because without realising it, you had been the most understanding in this issue. You understood me, because you did. You were in the same situation as i did, facing the same dilemma, the same problems, the same setbacks. And you gave me the kind of trust which says that: I am with you, we're holding hands in the same rough storm. As long as we don't shiver, we'll be fine. The storm will ease. We will survive. We're together. We're going to make it to our destination.

Because you decided to consider languages also, something very unexpected. When I knew it, I was very touched, touched by the sense that I finally knew that I am not walking this path alone. There's someone, out there, just happened to reach out her hand and hold mine tight and choose this road less taken by. And this person happened to be so real, and so near. She's just by my side, and she's my friend. You don't know this, but it happened. I indeed find it a blessing, you're an element of essential in my life. I thank you for being present during these rough times, and I truly do. You had been more than just my friend.

You're simply too good to be true.



Jia, you're destined for great things. I know. Trust me, you do. And for once and for all, thank you for being you, the Jia that I had known so well. =)



XOXO
Hui Ting

No comments: